2×1 Hour lessons per week
Yr 9- Skills Building
Yr 10- Developing skills and specialising in chosen areas
Yr 11- Coursework which is worth 50% of the GCSE- emphasis is on the practical coursework
Plus, a final 2-hour examination
3 x 1 Hour lessons per week
Yr 9- Skills Building mini projects
Yr 10-Coursework which is worth 50% of the GCSE- Emphasis is on the practical coursework
Plus, a Final 2-hour exam
• Produce working drawings
• Develop CAD & CAM skills
• Use a metal lathe
• Use a 3d printer/ Use a laser cutter
Coursework – 50%-
There is a choice of three very option topics: Supporting a developing country, encouraging a healthy lifestyle, Helping the elderly.
Topic choices are released on the 1st June each year.
Students are required to create a product and an accompanying portfolio consisting of 22 A3 pages.
• Design and Communication- Impact of Design and Engineering, Brief and Specifications, Creating Design Ideas, Orthographic Drawings, CAD- 2d Design, New Software and Autodesk.
• Materials & their properties, Standard parts and Components, Products and their technological development
• Processes- Manufacturing and fabrication techniques, Safety in the workshop, Quality control, Jigs and Moulds, Evaluating products
• Maths and Science and their integration into Design
• Controlled Assessments